I like musical playlists that kinda have some strange connection. One of my favorite mix CDs in the car is this one I made full of songs that have “la la la” somewhere in their lyrics.
Anyway, in case you were wondering, here are my top 5 favorite such songs in that CD:
#5: Nick Cave & PJ Harvey – Henry Lee
As my brother would put it, this song is “pure sex”. It’s also incredibly morbid… and has a completely different vibe from the other songs in this list.
#4: that dog. – Retreat from the Sun
that dog. (yeah, with the really weird punctuation) aren’t exactly the greatest band in the world or anything, but back in the late 90’s I really loved the shit out of their 3rd studio album. There are a couple of songs on it that fit the “la la la” theme, but I picked this one cos it’s one of my favorites.
#3: Weston – La La Love You (cover of a Pixies song)
It’s not that Weston’s cover of this song (which came on the Pixies tribute album Where Is My Mind) is any better than the original or anything, but I picked it over the original version cos they put a lot more “la la la” singing in it. And that to be suits the theme a bit more.
So yeah, la la la la la! All I’m saying, pretty baby… la la love you, don’t say maybe.
Here’s a video, cut to some old TV show that I can’t recognize.
#2: Redd Kross – Yesterday Once More (cover of a Carpenters song)
Wow it’s another cover! And the reason I picked the cover over the original this time is because well, it’s a cool cover. And it’s from that If I were a Carpenter tribute album, and all the cool kids have that album so I need to name-drop it too.
#1: Liz Phair and Material Issue – The Tra La La Song
There were a ton of gems on the Saturday Morning Cartoons tribute album, but my favorite has always been the opening track. It’s just way too upbeat and way too happy for me not to include it in this list. This is the first time I’m seeing this music video, and it’s so colorful that it’ll cheer you up even on a dreary Monday.
There are plenty of other songs that have “La la la” in the lyrics, so I’ve put a bunch of them down here. Let me know if you’ve got any “la la la” favorites that didn’t appear in this list.
- Petra Haden – Bach Prelude No. 2 in C minor (for well tempered voice)
- Sugarflies – Telegenicbabe
- that dog. – Long Island
- Weezer – You gave your love to me softly
- Deadstar – Here You Come
- Shonen Knife – All I Want for Christmas
- The Pixies – La La Love You
- Tanya Chua – My Color TV Set
- Clem Snide – Moment in the Sun
- The Carpenters – Yesterday Once More
- Cibo Matto – Sugar Water
- Michael Buble – Everything
- Jason Mraz – Life is Wonderful
- Portishead – Requiem for Anna
- Josie & the Pussycats – Spin Around
- Inner Circle – Sweat
- The Powerpuff Girls – Love Makes the World Go Round
- Barenaked Ladies – La La La La Lemon
- Social Distortion – Story of My Life
- Cypress Hill – Hand on the Glock
- Eminem – Without Me
- Avril Lavigne – Mobile
- Avril Lavigne – Nobody’s Fool
- Avril Lavigne – What the Hell
- Avril Lavigne – I Love You
- Avril Lavigne – Everybody Hurts
- Avril Lavigne – Daydream
Wow, Avril Lavigne certainly likes singing “la la la!”